While it is exciting to go on vacation, I would like to find one person who gets excited about packing. We all struggle to pack our suitcases when it is time to go on a trip. If you are like most women, you probably overpack and carry more clothes than you ever wear. After taking many trips dragging luggage on and off planes and trains, I have learned a few things. Learning packing tips is as much about what not to take as it is about what to bring. It is a skill that you get better with over time. Of course, you might imagine that there is some psychology to this also.
Here are a few things to consider when you are smart packing:
- Make a list to reduce your chances of forgetting something; check things off as you go.
- Don’t wait until the last minute to start packing
- Layout the clothes you think you will want to take on your trip. Then go through them and reduce them by half. You can wear pants more than once, so save some space.
- Don’t pack anything for “just in case”; if you don’t have it, you will work with what you have and still look great!
- Roll your clothes instead of layering them to save space in your luggage. I highly recommend purchasing packing cubes; they allow you to stay organized and your garments tightly packed. You can also use them in your hotel drawers to find things quickly.
- Pack mini toiletries. Buy some cheap plastic bottles, label them, and pour your lotions and conditioners into the smaller bottles for your trip. You will have what you need without having to lug the full-size bottles. Using small bottles works excellent if you are trying to take only a carry-on as well.
- Pack your toiletries, medicines, and a change of clothes in your carry-on. Having necessities with you will give you some insurance if your bags get lost.
- Put a couple of plastic bags or large Ziploc bags in your luggage for dirty shoes or clothes when returning home. You don't want to mess up your souvenirs.
As I travel, one of the first things I think about is my feet and wanting to be sure that I can withstand all of the airports walking. Packing too many shoes is a common mistake that women make. You don't need a different pair of shoes for each outfit. Think comfort, then style. If you are going on a vacation with water sports, water shoes are a good option, along with an excellent walking shoe and a pair of sandals (neutral color).